Friday, February 13, 2009

Practical Ministry

My van died a few weeks ago. Car troubles have to be one of the most obnoxious things to me. If there is anything that challenges whether or not the fruits of the Spirit are present it is this life situation.

Thanks to facebook, a friend of mine hooked me up with a friend of his who was generous enough to come over and give me a diagnosis. He said it was the fuel pump and informed me that it would probably cost between $500-$600 to get fixed. I really don't know if I want to spend that much money on a vehicle that could possibly break again in a few weeks. So we are stuck trying to figure out what to do and how to get some wheels that have six seats.

But the point of this blog is to talk about what I consider a practical ministry. I found out from one of our friends at church that they have a loaner van for people with car troubles. We called up and asked about it, and they gave us the key with no questions asked. This is a practical ministry.

Most churches are so wrapped up in the newest "Saddleback" program or how good their worship, daycare, coffee bar, or preaching is; that they forget about what really is important. How can we serve people in practical ways.

My question to you is, what are some other ways that we can serve people in practical ways? What things are you doing? What types of things is your church doing?

1 comments:

Matt said...

Nate,
Awesome blog. I think my heart is with the homeless. Grace and I were out to dinner for her b-day a couple Sundays ago. We saw a homeless friend named "Renegade" and so we tried to flag our waitress down to get the check and try and catch up to him to say hi and see how he was doing (for a note on Renegade check out Grace's notes on her profile page).

We lost him. But in the process of circling city blocks we met two new friends who are homeless. We spent and 45 minutes just BSing and laughing haveing good conversation. It was so nice just to talk and not have an agenda. We appreciated each others company. God has placed on my heart to take my guitar downtown and just play music and meet the folks hanging out. I used to do this many years ago with a friend and we met the coolest people and got to share our lives. So that's where I'm starting. "Leading Worship" in big churches has become a show for me and I don't connect to a whole lot. And that may be because of me...but I have to go where God it telling me to go and share my gifting there. Sorry for rambling. Peace,
Matt

 

  © 2009 Nate's Musings

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika  

Free web directory