Friday, November 12, 2010

Frustration Vs. Determination

As many of you know, I have been trying to finish my degree.  It has been a long road to earn my first degree, and I am not happy with what I have done.  I started college in 1992.  Since then I have attended 4 different school 5 different times.  I have changed my major 5 different times.  This is definitely not a formula for success.
This time around I am trying to get an IT degree with a Network Administration.  I have been doing pretty well over the past two years with a scheduled graduation date of November of next year.  At the beginning of this year, I started studying for the Configuring Windows 7 exam.  I have taken the test 4 times with negative results.  Yesterday, I took it for the 5th time...and failed. 
This last score leaves me in kind of a bind.  Microsoft's policy is to only let a person take the test 5 times within a 12 month time frame.  So, I won't be able to take the test again until November 2011 (the month I was supposed to graduate).  And, since the class was worth 6 credits (half of my class load) I did not pass enough credits for this term.  This places me on an academic probation for the next term.  I should not affect my financial aid, but it is very discouraging.
My IT mentor is going to try to get me into a Vista class so I can take a test soon.  This will keep me from having to wait 12 months to take the test again.  But it is still frustrating.  It's days like this that make me think I am an idiot and should just give up.
But I have given up too many times in my life and I am not about to give up on school for a 6th time.  It may be frustrating and a little humiliating that I have been unable to pass this test.  But, for now, my determination outweighs my frustration.
In 2011, I plan on being a graduate of Western Governor's University and earning my first Bachelor's Degree.  It is going to be hard (it has already been hard) but I will not let that deter me from reaching this goal.  I am tired of giving up.  I am tired of other people dictating what I can and can't do.  I will be an IT professional.
Thanks for reading....and GO BOISE STATE!

0 comments:

 

  © 2009 Nate's Musings

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika  

Free web directory